The Manufacturing sector is arguably the most important sector in any country. It contributes largely to a nation’s success and is responsible for the creation of numerous job opportunities in an economy. The manufacturing sector also helps other upcoming industries such as transportation, utilities, and construction in an economy by making use of their services to a large extent.
It is little wonder then why most nations see the manufacturing sector as one of the most important sectors (if not the most) in a nation’s economy. If you are thinking about going into the manufacturing sector with hopes of making an impact and thriving in this already saturated environment, you need to know the basic and modern trends, practices, and technologies being used currently in the industry and ways to make it better. One of such modern and fast rising trends you might want to know about before deciding to enter the manufacturing sector is ‘Green Manufacturing.’
What is Green Manufacturing?
Green manufacturing can be said to be the rebranding of the processes of production and the creation of operations in the manufacturing sector that are friendly to the environment. It is basically the process of greening the manufacturing sector. A process in which workers in the manufacturing sector make use of fewer natural resources in the manufacturing process in order to reduce waste, reduce pollution, recycle and reuse materials, and control the emissions of toxic substance.
Green Manufacturing practices
People who engage in green manufacturing conduct research to find, develop and use technologies and processes that are less harmful to the environment. Companies who wish to practice green manufacturing must go through a particular green technologies training and engage in practices such as the following:
- Energy from renewable sources: When practicing green manufacturing, workers in the industry are expected to generate their power be it electricity, fuel, or heat from renewable sources that can be found within their company. These renewable sources that can be found within a company may include wind, geothermal, hydropower, solar, biomass, landfill gas, municipal solid waste, and ocean.
- Energy Efficiency: Workers are expected to make use of some particular technologies and carry out certain practices in order to improve the efficiency of energy within their company.
- Conservation of Natural Resources: The establishment carrying out green manufacturing will make use of certain practices and technologies to effectively and efficiently conserve natural resources. The practices and technologies to be used can be those related to land management, soil, water, wildlife conservation, or organic agriculture.
- Recycling, Reduction of Gas, and the Reduction and Eradication of Pollution: Workers at an establishment that wishes to employ green manufacturing should endeavour to utilise green technologies and practices for the following purposes:
- Reduction and elimination of the creation of waste materials
- Reduction and removal of the creation or release of substances that can cause or contribute to pollution during their manufacturing processes
- Collection, re-usage, and recycling of waste materials
- Reduction of emissions from greenhouse gas.
Seeing establishments in the manufacturing sector deciding to go green is gradually becoming the norm. This is because those that decided to practice green manufacturing long ago did so without regrets and are currently reaping the fruits their green manufacturing tree is bearing.
Green manufacturing has various benefits it offers to establishments that decide to practice it while also benefiting a nation’s economy as a whole by providing employment opportunities, eradicating pollution, etc. some of the benefits it offers are explained below:
- Cost Reduction: Manufacturing companies can significantly reduce their overall operating costs by practicing green manufacturing. By making use of energy gotten from renewable sources such as solar, ocean or wind and equipment and machinery that are energy-efficient, energy and utility bills will significantly be reduced. Also, by practicing recycling and not using papers for bills or documents, the company gets to save a lot on supply costs.
- Boosts Sales: Going green has the capability to boost your company’s reputation and this could in the long run increase sales. This is because customers tend to mostly patronize a reputable company and by going green, you are essentially rebranding your establishment and giving it a great reputation boost which will in turn increase your sales volume significantly.This benefit does not need to be stressed as it has been talked about for the most part of this article. Green manufacturing can help rid the environment of pollution and harmful toxins as it involves the usage of Impact on Environment renewable energy and recycling among others.
Green manufacturing or clean manufacturing as it is commonly called is really the future of the manufacturing sector as it offers endless possibilities and benefits to establishments in the sector and the nation as a whole. In consideration of this, it is safe to say that if more companies in the manufacturing sector decide to switch to green manufacturing, we just might have discovered a way to create tons of employment opportunities and save our country.